Hi Folks,

Re the "national purpose" restriction on the Spending power -

Why aren't the aggregate interstate economic effects of uncompensated losses from
natural disasters sufficient to bring the case within the Spending power's general
welfare clause?  Does there have to be a federal governmental (mismanagement) or state
incompetency (federal government is a better insurer than states) basis for the
exercise of the Spending power  - Doesn't  the spending clause power extend to areas
where there is a national,  for lack of a better word, "police power" interest in
favoring or disfavoring certain activity. Congress isn't limited to activity within
its enumerated powers, and so far, the Court has not extended the Lopez/Morrison
"state perogative" analysis to Spending Clause - so why wouldn't a national interest
in protecting interstate economy be enough.

An example is the recent American Library case where the court upheld the library
filtering law under the Spending clause. Although the law regulated internet access -
which is an instrumentality of interstate commerce, would the law have been any less
within in the spending power if Congress had required states to pass laws prohibiting
for example, the simple delivery to children of  obsence materials?

It may be a bad idea for the federal government to compensate folks for losses that
come from voluntarily living in an uninsurable fire or flood zone. But is it
unconstitutional for government to decide otherwise?

yb

Professor Yvette M. Barksdale
Associate Professor of Law
The  John Marshall Law School