On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we need to brainstorm around this board report a bit more, especially
> the steps for graduation:
>
> We definitely need more active committers.  It's basically Karl at this point
> and Robert, Simon and I jump in from time to time for higher level
> discussions.  I can tell you schedule wise I'm going to have a hard time
> contributing code for the foreseeable future, which is unfortunate because
> when I signed up for this I really thought I would be more involved in it.
> So, how do we get people engaged more?  We presumably have a ton of
> committers already on the project, but none are contributing.
>
> One thought is that we should merge user and dev mailing lists together.
> This is actually considered best practice for incubating projects (I had
> missed that) since it gets users interacting w/ devs right away and can
> likely help encourage contributions.
>
> In order to graduate, I think we need the following:
> 1. one or two more releases
> 2. At least 3 other active committers besides Karl
> 3. Whatever other criteria is listed on the Incubator site (we can review it)

I agree.

> Karl, what do you think we can do to make it easier for people to get into
> the code?  Are other people putting up patches?

What's been happening is that we do indeed get code from contributors,
but the contributors in question seem like they are new to
open-source. I usually have to provide quite a bit of process advice,
and explain the steps, and even sometimes do a chunk of the code
myself.  So we definitely are not at the point yet where we have
knowledgeable developers contributing regularly.

On the other hand, ManifoldCF in Action went MEAP just last night, and
I have structured the book to make it a very good training exercise
for potential contributors.  My suggestion is to work that angle as
much as possible.  I'm looking now for people who want free copies in
exchange for reviews for marketing purposes.  This probably means you
gotta at least read it. ;-)  Let me know if you're willing.

Karl