My major concern with the release of binaries through the standard
Apache channel is that we then effectively have another release that
must be synchronized with the main release, since the non-maven
binaries are not, by definition, part of the main release.

I set bin-dist up with that in mind, so that it can effectively remain
unversioned, and be "add only".

If there is no other choice than parallel releases of binaries and
source, with a separation of binaries and source in the svn tree, then
I will have to think through the best solution.  Certainly we will
have to treat binaries from different sources differently.  For
example, all of the following would potentially need a different
solution:

(1) Stuff that's available from maven that is license-compatible with Apache
(2) Stuff that's available from maven that is NOT license-compatible with Apache
(3) Stuff that's not available from maven that is license-compatible with Apache
(4) Stuff that's not available from maven that is not
license-compatible with Apache

We could not package dependencies that are (2) or (4).  We would
*have* to package (3), but not necessarily (1).

Is this making your head spin yet?  Mine is...

An svn-based download is technically little different than a source
checkout, seems to me, which is why I wonder why we would make a
distinction at all.

Karl