Update: I'm just about ready to ask for a new RC that contains the following:

- No checked-in binaries at all
- A new "XXX-lib" target just containing license files and binaries
- Patched jars built on the fly from patch files included in the
source distribution

In order to make all this work, the ant build has been extended with
the following targets, which replace download-dependencies:

make-core-deps (downloads and/or builds dependent jars and puts them in lib)
make-deps (downloads proprietary jars)

Thus, to build from source, you need to either:

(1) Unpack source tar, unpack lib tar, and run "ant build", or
optionally "ant make-deps build"
(2) Unpack source tar, run "ant make-core-deps", and then either "ant
build" or "ant make-deps build"

If the make-core-deps target is objectionable, I can of course remove
it from ant help so it is hidden.  It's essential, though, for release
engineering purposes.

Karl