Jeff,

How would you describe the phrase structure of the version of Beaumont Rag that
you just cited? A A B B? A1 A2 B1 B2? A B? Something else?

In the instructional video

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2Wb6nIjlU

the narrator begins (0:00-0:39) by playing a similar version of the tune. At
about 1:19, he says, "It's in A B form." At about 2:00 tablature appears in the
upper right corner for what the narrator describes as "measure number one." The
time signature isn't shown, but from the beaming of the notes, I'd infer that
it's 4/4. In any case, each "measure" of music in the tablature includes what
contra dance writers and callers would typically refer to as "four beats" or
"four counts" or "two measures" or "two bars" of music.

--Jim

> On May 2, 2022, at 7:48 AM, Jeff Kaufman via Contra Callers
> <contracallers@lists.sharedweight.net> wrote:
>
> Here's a common version of Beaumont Rag that's square and well phrased:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTuWotf7TQ
>
> Jeff
<older merssages snipped>