Just commenting on code in a mature project depending on code in non-mature
project & nothing else:

I don't think it was written in the project lifecycle rules that some code
in a mature project cannot depend on some code in incubation or a bootstrap
project. By that logic we would never be able to have the following type of
new functionality added in ODL:

   - that some mature offset 1 or 2 projects desire
   - the new functionality either deserves a new offset 0 project or
   logically needs to go into an existing offset 0 incubation/bootstrap
   project

Also there is at least one instance in ODL where we have some mature
projects (NetVirt, VTN, GBP to name a few) depending on non-mature project
like OpenFlow Plugin (which is in bootstrap state).