On Tuesday 21 October 2003 01:30 pm, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> ביום שלישי, 21 באוקטובר 2003, 15:45, נכתב על ידי Greg Meyer:
> > With all the complaining about missing packages (i.e. kernel-source
> > package) and the debate about what should have been left out instead
> > (i.e. emacs or alternate kernels, etc.) I had a thought that might be
> > helpful.
> >
> > Obviously, in order to make everybody happy, the number of images needs
> > to be increased,  I was thinking that isos could be created for the base
> > distro, say two, and then supplemental isos for gaming/eyecandy/mm stuff,
> > development stuff, and then international/localizations packages.  That
> > way I would not be forced to download four big images to get what I want,
> > I could just download the base and the development image for instance,
> > and skip the games and the localization disk.
> >
> > So I see 5 images, and maybe one or two are not completely full, but at
> > least everything will be included.  WDYT?
>
> you mean actually dedicating each ISO to a separate section?
> one for i18n?
> one for devel?
> one for servers?
> one for docs?
>
> wow... great idea...

Yes, something like that.  I have not done any research on the actual sizes of
the packages and where you would do the split, but perhaps this could be a
better way of making sure that everything gets in without requiring everyone
to download all the isos.

I was thinking along the lines of

Base distro - 2 images
Development stuff - 1 image
games/eyecandy/multimedia stuff - 1 image
i18n - 1 image

--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx