A few days ago I've reported the issue with squares to freeglut
developers and they removed the points:
https://github.com/dcnieho/FreeGLUT/issues/19

For the coming ccp4 release we'll go with stroke-characters enabled by
default (for Linux only) and with patched freeglut.

It would be good to find out why the bitmaps are making coot so slow
with this particular driver and/or report it to developers, but I
don't have energy to do it.

BTW, if anyone would like to test our development version of the CCP4
suite and report problems:

# download one of the tarballs from
http://devtools.fg.oisin.rc-harwell.ac.uk/nightly/
wget
http://devtools.fg.oisin.rc-harwell.ac.uk/nightly/ccp4-linux64-latest.tar.bz2

# unpack
tar xjf ccp4-linux??-*.tar.bz2

# start a bash subshell with sourced CCP4 environment
./ccp4-linux??-*/start

# and run whatever you like, for ex.
coot

Marcin