On 2/15/18 4:18 PM, Stuart Marks wrote:

On 2/15/18 3:06 PM, mandy chung wrote:
Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit has been deprecated since 1.2 (1998)
and deprecated for removal in JDK 9.  We analyzed the maven central
artifacts few years ago that show very few uses of it.  I also
survey a recent version of most of the maven artifacts that references
runFinalizatsOnExit no longer references it.  I propose to remove
Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit and System.runFinalizersOnExit methods
in JDK 11.

CSR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198250

I've added myself to the reviewers list of this CSR.

Note that you've listed the Compatibility Risk as Medium, but the notes are in support of a low risk level. Given this analysis, I'd be comfortable with Compatibility Risk being set to Low if you want to do that.

I should make it clear.  I keep it medium because the data doesn't represent all libraries.

Webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk11/webrevs/8198249/webrev.00/

Finalizer.java:

 111        This method is used by both runFinalization.

Delete "both".

I will fix that.

Thanks for updating the docs and comments in jdeprscan.

Overall looks good. Someone else should look at the native code, though, since I'm not too familiar with it.

Thanks
Mandy