On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 10:26 AM, mandy chung <mandy.ch...@oracle.com>
wrote:

> On 2/16/18 6:52 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
>
> I think that the following now never applies (in Finalizer) since
> ReferenceQueue never returns the same Reference object more than once:
>
>   71             if (this.next == this)      // already finalized
>   72                 return;
>
> You could change it into an assert to be comfortable. What do you think?
>

> Finalizer is loaded very early when VM starts and we can't use assert
> there (yes it's one of the bootstrapping issues in using new language
> features that we'd like to resolve.  We cleaned up several bootstrapping
> issues in JDK 9).
>
> I'll leave it as is.

The small optimization to avoid checking for "already finalized" could be
done in a follow-up.

Before working on Finalizer.java I was not really aware of the global
"unfinalized" data structure with a non-scalable lock.  This could probably
be made scalable with a large amount of effort, in the style of LongAdder.
But probably not going to happen.