Hi Brandon -

Yes and no.  I've gone through the effort previously to use the developer
image to build the kernel modules and driver that I need.  I've taken a
step back to rethink my options.

Initially I took the slice & dice approach by doing the following:

  1) build my kernel driver, modules and userland libraries/executables
inside the developer image
  2) package all of the relevant files together
  3) take the published PXE image from a given stable release, unpack the
usr.squashfs file system from it, and patch it with the new files
    - note that I include userland files because I want to test this both
inside of pure CoreOS and inside of Docker/rkt
  4) PXE boot from this image

That all works fine (with some caveats) but I would ideally like a solution
that is more organic than this.

Next, I thought to add the build process to the SDK and have things built
along with the base CoreOS packages.  With that being said, I'm not sure if
things like running depmod inside the context of the build process is even
an option.  Surely that gets run at *some* point, but when?

What are your thoughts?

-Jared

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM, Brandon Philips <brandon.phil...@coreos.com