Hello David,
Thanks for your enquiry and condolences on the recent death of your father.

As Boyd (a professional genealogist) states, there is much in your post that
poses many questions. Firstly, referring to “General Alphabetical Index to the
Townlands and Towns, Parishes and Baronies of Ireland” there is no such place
anywhere in Ireland, although there is a townland known as Ben Beg in Co.
Galway.

Your first port of call is to my indexes to the Co. Tyrone Tithe Applotment
Books of the 1820s-30son the CoTyroneIreland website
http://www.cotyroneireland.com/search.php searching for William Irwin (there
are in excess of thirty in many parishes) . Parish maps are also on CTI
http://www.cotyroneireland.com/maps/parish.html and a complete list of
townlands http://www.cotyroneireland.com/townlands/townlands.html (I am
assuming that you are familiar with the concept of the Irish townland?).

It is also essential to ascertain the religious denomination of your forebear.

It is also necessary to refer to Griffiths Valuation c1860 which records heads
of households by parish and townland
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ where you will find in excess
of one hundred and fifty WILLIAM IRWINS recorded in Co. Tyrone alone (none in
Ardboe parish).

While I am not a professional genealogist, I have been undertaking Irish
research for almost forty years (I commenced at a VERY young age) and have
researched in London, Dublin, Derry/ Londonderry and Belfast on numerous
occasions; attendance at three Ulster Historical Foundation conferences in
Belfast has given me a great insight into Irish genealogical research. Success
is not really possible without considerable research. Good luck!
Regards,
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia