Margaret,

 I echo what Boyd has said.

 Armstrong is a very common name in Ireland.In the 1901 census there are 6122.
545 in Co Tyrone, 6 named Samuel and41 named William. The names would have been
even more common in the mid 1800s asthe population was considerably greater
then. (It was 8 million in 1841 and it’sonly 6 million today).

 There’s 42 parishes in the county, and probably250 – 300 churches. Not all the
churches have records back to the mid 1800s letalone 1811 when William was
born, and of those that do, many are not on-line.Only the RC records are fairly
comprehensively on-line. For all other denominationsit’s very patchy. A lot
have been copied and are in PRONI, but there are somesmall churches where the
Minister still has the only copy of the records.No-one has copied them at all,
and the only way of checking them is to contacthim/her. Searching all the
various church records for Tyrone is a mammoth task.Researchers need to be able
to reduce the search by knowing the exact denomination(s)of the families they
are looking at. And we need some reasonably reliableinformation on where they
might have lived to keep the research withinreasonable bounds. Searching the
church records for the whole county forArmstrong would be a huge task. But even
then, there’s no getting away from thefact that the Church of Ireland lost a
significant portion of its records inthe 1922 fire, and that other
denominations didn’t always keep records, or ifthey did, they have been lost or
damaged. So no certainty of success at all.

 It’s worth bearing in mind that noteveryone is listed in Griffiths. Servants,
people lodging with others and folkwith very low value properties were all
excluded. Labourers who moved aroundregularly to follow available work often
slipped through the Griffiths clerks net.There are other examples. Also it was
compiled for Tyrone around 1860, so if afamily had left by that year, they
won't be in it.

 With your Samuel and William, I wouldsearch all possible records in Canada, or
wherever else they ended up. Marriageand death certificates sometimes give
places of birth, as well as parentsnames. Military records, obituaries, wills
etc can all throw up informationabout someone’s origins.  Because it’ssuch a
common name, to trace William Armstrong born c1852, we’d need hismother’s full
name, to be sure of finding the right family. Presumably you knowthat, though
it isn’t in your post.

 The researcher’s expertise is obviouslyimportant but equally we can’t magic up
records that don’t exist anymore, and themore accurate your information and the
narrower the search area, the better thechances of success.

  Elwyn