Dear Oily Ones:

I think my Alon's breather is nominally what the factory installed.  A
combination of aluminum tubes and rubber hoses goes uphill past the rear
of the engine, then exits through the lower cowl.  I would like to know
whether anyone with an Alon (C90) knows how far the tube should protrude
below the cowl - the Service Manual doesn't say - my breather protrudes
about six inches, which is unusually long.

There is a Service Bulletin which describes how the end of the tube should
be cut at an angle plus an oval hole cut on the opposite side to eliminate
icing, but it also says nothing about length.

I had a Beryl-D'Shannon separator on a previous aircraft, but doubt it is
small enough to fit an Alon.  My 35 hour old C90 uses approximately 1
quart per 8 hours, but it seems to burn rather than end up on the belly.
Continentals have a reputation for using more oil than Lyc's.  Read the
Engine Manual and you'll be surprised how much oil usage is considered OK.

David

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>JBrim,
>My Alon has a plastic tube running straight out the bottom of the engine
>cowling and ends just above the back of the front tire.  It is clamped to
the
>strut--or maybe to the ground wire on the strut, I forget.  It gets most
of
>the oil below the belly when I fly.  I have seen others that did not have
the
>tube extended as far out of the belly of the cowling, and even that seems
>help.  I don't think it is necessary to go clear to the back of the
plane.

>Ken Doyle
>Springfield, Mo
>N5477E

Hi all,

I have a 1965 Alon Aircoupe.  I'm getting tired of cleaning oil from its
belly.  (Although its oil usage is within the normal range, the small
amount of oil vapor vented through the crankcase breather ends up on the
belly.)  A friend suggested I extend the oil breather tube through the
fuselage and out the tail to eliminate this problem.  He says this is a
common solution to a common problem and is harmless.  Does anyone have
any experience with this or opinions on its advisability.  Another
friend suggested an add on air-oil separator.  Anyone have any knowledge
of such a product suitable for a coupe?  Is there an STC for such a
modification?

Thanks for any input.

John Brim