In a message dated 10/15/98 10:42:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
One of the differences between a C series engine and an O-200 is the
breather
elbow.  The C series use a common AN elbow while the O-200 uses a
Continental
part which as you describe has an extension into the crankcase. I don't
have
my parts and price books near me but I recall that the AN elbow is a $10
part
while the Cessna part is a little under $200 which sounds to me like a
good
reason to fabricate your own part.  My last flight before grounding the
aircraft in June resulted in 2 quarts of oil being blown out onto the
belly in
a twenty minute flight.  When I returned to my tiedown there was oil
raining
from the belly of the airplane.  Interestingly it took the airport
management
and security three monthes to notice the oil stain under my airplane.
When an
aircooled engine has sufficient blowby the rings will eventually freeze in
the
piston because the oil is 'cooking' in the ring belt area which turns it
into
an effective glue.  At that point the blowby and oil loss goes up a lot.
You
can try to prolong the life of the engine but eventually the only cure
will be
to have the cylinder barrels corrected by whatever method best fits your
pocket.
Bob Condon