After reading what some of you coupers are getting for oil consumption,
I feel very fortunate.  I have a C75-12F, and running it at 2250 in
cruise lets me averages about one quart of Philips X/C 20-50 every 5
hours of flight.  The engine has 450 hours on it.  The vent pipe comes
forward and down on the C75/85.  There is a revision that the Ercoupe
company put out that had the pipe go back,up, than down.  This is
supposed to cut down on oil blowing out the breather.  This breather
pipe mod can be purchased from Univair.  You can also just purchase from
Univair the booklet showing all Ercoupe Corp. inprovments, recommended
enhancements, and STC's available for the planes.  I think it is about
$10.  It has a tremendous amount of information in it, and every couper
should really think about getting one.
Dennis Schmaltz
N94715
Dennis Schmaltz

Bob Urban wrote:

> Jack,
>
> When I hit the send key, I knew I should have stated my RPM's for my
> oil burn. Usually I cruise at 2350 to 2400 rpm, because the engine
> really smoothes out and sings at this point. Below 2350 things just seem
> rough and laboring... not to mention that airspeed dwindles.
> Flat out in level flight, I am pitched to barely turn 2500 rpm.
> 2350 rpm on an 80 mph climb out with Wide Open Throttle.
> BTW....
> NOTE: NEVER, NEVER THROTTLE BACK IN CLIMB.
> Wide Open Throttle allows extra fuel through special carb jetting to
> cool the valves\cylinders on SUSTAINED climb out.
> If you have an EGT, you can see observe this for yourselves.
>
> N99784 leaks very little oil and blows next to nothing out the breather
> pipe. You are aware there is a NOTCH at the exit end of the pipe\hose?
> NOTE: This keeps any SIPHONING EFFECT under control.
> One cylinder's spark plug has noticeable oil residue.
>
> I too have been staying below 4 quarts thinking that had some effect.
> Others have told me that reducing RPM's would help, but THIS MUCH?!?!
> If I can discipline myself to 2300 rpm, I will report back with my
> findings, Jack.
>
> As an aside....
> Just got finished with an owner assisted annual, so now I have a whole
> year or a actually a day shy of 13 MONTHS to blunder through the sky!
> Yes, 13 months if you play your cards right!
> Get your annual at the first of the month and run until end of month
> expiration and then annual the beginning of the next month. Got it?
>
> Paid the IA 5 hours @ $40 hr for his time while I did most of the work.
> Flew 100 hours for a cost of $2 per hour for the annual. Not bad.
> $5 hour gas. 70 cents per hour for oil. $9.60 hour for hangar.
> $2.30 hour for full coverage insurance. Say 40 cents\hr for tires, etc
> rounding out about $20\hr at 100\hr per year including hangar.
> Outside tiedown on concrete is $45 a month so giving up the hangar
> could save $420\yr or $4.20 an hour. Of course outside storage will
> run up maintenance costs like paint, Plexiglas, interior, etc.
> Of course covers could defray those costs.
> Difficult to justify hangar rent.
> But those pesky birds.......
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Bob Urban
> > >++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > Bob
> >  My C-85 used to use more than a qt of oil in an hour and always had
an
> > oily belly. Now I keep the RPM's less than 2400, try to keep it at
2300 and
> > I actually get about 10 hrs on a qt. So far I have 9 1/2 hrs and have
not
> > had to add a qt yet, since the last oil change. My compression is not
that
> > good either: #1=73/80, #2=63/80, #3=75/80, #4=74/80.
> >         I used to only fill it to 3qts but now I fill it to 4qts.
Don't have near