Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
Where can I get Gamin?
You should use your distro packages. But if your distro doesn't have it, try http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/
Is it production-quality/proven/reliable?
It's been in RedHat's Enterprise Linux since 4.0 was released so in their mind at least it is.
What are the recommendations over the Fam/Gamin choice?
I had issues with FAM on Maildir's with 5000+ messages. The fam process would shoot up to 99% CPU and do nothing until I killed it manually. Switching to Gamin was a little better but it still had some issues. Seems both Fam and Gamin use dnotify if it's all that's available in the kernel. However, Gamin can and will use inotify if you're using a recent kernel (2.6.13+?) with inotify compiled in. Gamin+inotify were the magic combo for me. I still found issues with Maildirs with 10000+ messages, but instead of chewing up the CPU, Gamin would just fail to provide realtime updates in IDLE mode, not a big deal for me.
Does Courier IMAP build successfully using Gamin instead of Fam?
Like Tony said, it will use the fam.h from whatever it finds. Older versions of Gamin weren't quite 100% API compatabile with FAM so they had issues. But Gamin has been in Fedora since FC3 or so and is quite well tested (I believe Sam, the main Courier developer uses a recent version of Fedora for devel.)

Having said all this, if you're on FreeBSD or another Unix I have no idea what Gamin's support is like. I believe the head Gamin devel. is a RedHat employee so most of the testing is done on Linux, not even sure it's compilable on other Unixen.

Jay
begin:vcard
fn:Jay Lee
n:Lee;Jay
org:Philadelphia Biblical University;Information Technology Department
adr:;;;Langhorne;PA;19047;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Network / Systems Administrator
x-mozilla-html:TRUE