crimson writes:

> This is the worse advse I have ever heard given. What is wrong with
> Redhat 6.1?

Nothing, unless you try using a spec file for Red Hat 7.2.

>            I should not have to be running the latest version in order
> to be able to compile a damn program!

Right.  You should be able to compile and install without any problems.

> Better advise would be to tell him look on freshmeat for what he needs.

I'll put it very gently:  resolving those dependencies, by hand, requires
updating half the operating system.  If someone is actually able to do that,
they won't need me telling them how to go about doing that.

--
Sam