In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 03/20/03
   at 01:03 PM, "Chris Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I've been looking at sqwebmail and squirrelmail as possible candidates
>for  setting up our webmail interface on top of qmail.  Does anyone have
>a  recommendation one way or the other? (preferably with some reasons
>why)

>Chris Berry
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Systems Administrator
>JM Associates

Have used both, and on https (ssl/tls) only.  Both work well.

Sqwebmail works 'natively' with the full courier-mta package, not at all
hard to implement with Qmail+courier-imap either.  Able to work directly
with the maildirs.

Squirrelmail needs a little more in the way of care to install, as it
isn't part of either the qmail+courier-imap or courier-mta suites.  Must
also have a 'proper' imap server and is happy with courier-imap.

BOTH need mostly just "RTFM" care to configure and install. Not a lot of
'gotchas'.

Difference?

I have run no figures, but empirically expect SQWebmail to be both more
efficient and more secure than Squirrelmail, based simply on the tools
used to implement them.

But when it comes to *usability*... our end users (and myself as well)
like and will use the Squirrelmail UI, to the extent that many don't even
use a 'proper' mailer any longer, just Mozilla with Squirrelmail.

Having used the SQWebmail for a year or more before making the conversion,
my users and I would rather take a beating than go back to the SQWebmail
UI from the Squirrelmail UI.

I recently looked at 'current' SQWebmail, and the improvements in UI
aren't enough to change my mind.

UI's have a lot to do with personal preferences, so you should try both
before deciding.

YMMV.

Bill Hacker