Mark Constable writes:
On 05/02/11, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I send a test message to yy...@zzzzz.com which we know is forwarded
> to yy...@xxxx.com.au which causes a 517 fail on zzzzz.com for anyone
> sending to this user from a domain with an SPF record. Forwarding breaks SPF, film at 11.
The only thing they can do is set the envelope sender on forwarded mail
to point to their own domain, with its own SPF record.

Thanks Sam. So in trying to get some rewritting to work on my courier
server, before I google for a postfix solution, first I try this...
~ cat .courier-markc2
!$SENDMAIL -verp t...@xxxx.com.au
and that seemed to work but I can't see any difference in the destination

That'll only work if you really used a | instead of a !.
headers compared to a plain "t...@xxxx.com.au" in .courier-markc2, Next...

There wouldn't be any difference in the headers. The difference is in the envelope return address.
~ cat .courier-markc2
!$SENDMAIL -f mconsta...@gmail.com t...@xxxx.com.au
which is just weird. I see there are -bs and a -V options which could
be of interest but perhaps a hint as to which one would suit rewritting
the envelope From via a .courier file?

-f is sufficient. That's the option that sets the envelope return address. Now, don't put the forwarding address itself in -f. If there's a bounce, and the bounce goes here, it gets forwarded, which bounces again. This'll result in a temporary mail loop. -bs results in $SENDMAIL talking SMTP on standard input, which is not very useful in a context of a .courier file. -V sets an optional ESMTP parameter, and aside from that carries no useful purpose. Put an address for -f that simply discards all mail. If the forwarded mail bounces, the bounce will quietly disappear. That's the price to pay for forwarding: if you forward something, there's an expectation that you're forwarding somewhere that actually accepts mail.