I just described this to someone yesterday-- I boil it down to three key
things, two of which are easier to explain than the third:
1. Flexible
2. Open

Most of the other virtual offices offer a minimum of a full-time cubicle,
while we offer part-time and drop-in options (hence flexible). They also
tend to offer the privacy (but isolation) of a walled-off cubicle or private
office, while we tend to offer open, shared workspace without walls.

3. Community

The less tangible third one is the community aspect. I explain that there's
a fundamental philosophical difference at work, which makes for a completely
different experience. Most virtual offices are businesses first, and some
try to add community after the fact. Coworking spaces are communities first,
and the business is established as a vehicle for that community. That
reversal is what makes the coworking space fundamentally different from the
virtual office space.

My two cents. It's been said in this forum elsewhere that the best way to
for someone to understand coworking is just to try it themselves!

Best,
Tony Bacigalupo
New Work City



On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:06 AM, LaurenB <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> So I have been chatting with people in the area regarding the start of
> coworking and each person says "That already exists here."  Then when
> I continue the discussion, I find that it is really virtual office
> space so people can have their own office on a short term basis and
> the community aspect is missing.  When I explain, most people still
> don't seem to get it.  Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to
> explain or differentiation methods?
>
> Also, have any of you had to compete (so to speak) against Virtual
> Office Space?
>
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to