Nailed it!  Tell a story.

Good one, Ax.


On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:50 AM, axon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> As a lifelong sales rep, trainer, and manager, I have found the single
> most useful technique for articulating value to be the parable, case
> study, or narrative.  I call them PSRs (problem, solution, result).
> In short, tell a story.
>
> For example, a new member joined Uptime who writes mobile apps for the
> iPhone.  Another company incubating here needed someone to do that for
> a project they were trying to solve.  Now they're collaborating
> together on an entirely new opportunity, which is involving some of
> the other members in various capacities, as well.  These folks would
> never have met, much less started up a new line of business, if they
> hadn't been sharing an open-plan workspace with an ad hoc culture.
> Can't really do that at Regus....
>
> --Ax
>
> On Dec 12, 8:29 am, Charlie <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hey there,
>> I am Charlie. I've been lurking on this list for awhile since I blog for and
>> at Office Nomads in Seattle. When I explain Office Nomads to folks, I rarely
>> have this issue so I thought I'd finally say something on this list.
>>
>> I don't know if it's who I talk to or that I am in Seattle so the idea of
>> community is a bit easier for people to digest but when asked if I work at
>> home (I am a writer for a magazine based in the Bay Area as well as a
>> blogger) I generally say, "I work out of Office Nomads. It's a coworking
>> space."
>> Then they say, "oh.... yeeeeeah" as if they may have heard the term
>> coworking but I know they haven't, so I explain.
>> "Yeah, it's great. I have an office to go to where I get work done instead
>> of trying to work at home where I always get distracted by laundry, the cat
>> or what have you. But the best part is that I have an office life again
>> which also helps me get work done. You know, after working at home for
>> awhile, I realized how much I missed that social interaction you only get
>> with your office mates. I get that again at Office Nomads. We're all
>> coworkers even though we don't actually do the same things."
>> Invariably, the person I am talking to gets it then and they drop the word
>> "community" into the conversation on their own, somehow.
>> Personally, while I think the concept of community being a part of coworking
>> is extremely important, I think the term is a bit too nebulous for most
>> people unless they are tuned into thinking about it on a regular basis
>> anyway. And let's face it, most people today don't. So I try to leave it out
>> until I've got someone on the hook already by using concrete terms I know
>> they'll get: "office life," "social interaction you only get with office
>> mates," and that sort of thing. Like I say, when folks can releate to the
>> concept (and who in this culture, can't releate to the concept of office
>> life?) they can and will get that the important aspect is the community.
>> Then I can tell them that coworking made me feel like a productive member of
>> society again and they don't look at me like I'm nuts. Until I tell them
>> I've been to over 40 Phish shows, spent a summer at the South Pole or rode
>> every inch of the New York City subway system on one token when I was 17 for
>> a school project. Then they look at me like I'm nuts again and then everyone
>> feels more comfortable!
>>
>> hope this helps you come up with a description that deliniates for folks the
>> difference between coworking and virtual offices.
>> c
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:01 AM, LaurenB <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Tony,
>>
>> > Thank you so much for information!!  I am open to all the help I can
>> > get!  I was trying to explain the atmosphere to a commercial
>> > realtor...I need to come up with my elevator speech that is creative
>> > and accurate!!
>>
>> > P.S.  I love your home page!
>>
>> > Lauren
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to