Last point I have been pondering.... who is this group that wanted to come
> in and make this buy? Why did they want it and why now? What was the
> urgency?

'We' had 3 days to decide if we could make an offer and buy this name. Alex
emailed about a dozen people which resulted in enough interest to 1, fund a
good hunk of the price and 2, allow a public post to secure the rest of the
monies.

No one, and I mean no one, expected this money to be agreed and 70%
collected in 36 hours!

The initial off list discussions resulted in messages about 'legal entity'
and 'value for money' and 'what the heck, better than some sleaze ball
having it'.

Once it was decided to go after this name we (really Alex) had little time
to lose to get the pledges, put the offer in and then secure funds.

I think the reason it worked is that we believe in the 'cause' and each
could afford a share of the funds to secure the domain name. Alex had the
idea, bunch of us agreed with him, agreed to support him in the approach and
here we are!

--
Steven Heath
Director, Foxbane Consulting

AltSpace.co.nz - Shared office space in Wellington for home based workers,
freelancers, or nimble companies