Slate reached out privately, but I thought that others might find my
response useful:

Hi Slate,

I can't speak for Julie (Hi Julie!!) or Tony, but I can tell you that we've
paid one part time staff member a fixed amount of monthly compensation that
covered them for their time spent with us, but also intentionally hired
people who really wanted to work from Indy Hall on their own
personal/professional development.

Since it doesn't take even close to 40 hours a week to take care of the
office management of our ~5000 square foot office and 100+ person
membership, and it's totally up to them to create even more efficient ways
of getting their work for us done, they can make as MUCH time as they like
for their own projects and essentially get free access to explore their
dreams.

Parker, our current office manager, recently released his first iPhone game
http://brainarang.com Prior to coming to Indy Hall, he never thought he
could make a video game. In nearly a year of working at Indy Hall, he's
learned communication, team building, leadership, creative collaboration,
iteration, production, and more.

It's like the best internship ever.

In fact, we initially ran it as an unpaid internship, see:
http://www.indyhall.org/blog/2009/08/20/the-indyhall-internship/ to work
under our first office manager (who was my assistant). We used a ~3 month
internship to pilot a successor to Dana, and found Parker, who's absolutely
phenomenal and worth every penny we pay him (I wish we could pay him more)!

Bottom line is: GREAT help is hard to come by, and they need to be
compensated fairly. I don't personally think a commission is fair because a
single staff member isn't going to make the difference between 20 and 40
members, so they don't really have realistic ways to increase their
compensation to a fair rate. It looks to me more like you're trying to hire
a sales person than what a coworking space really needs: *a den mother*.

Finally, and probably most importantly, the BIGGEST reason we only need to
pay one person a part time wage is because Indy Hall was built as a
community first, and we heavily included all of our members in the
construction of our clubhouse and continue to do so on a daily basis. So
many of the things that most offices would have to have an office minion
take care of get taken care of by our members because they're proud of the
home they helped create and inhabit. That's more valuable than any "cost
savings" approach we could have ever dreamed up.

Best of luck on your new effort in Ct!

Just remember: community comes first. Everything else is gravy.

-Alex
/ah
indyhall.org
coworking in philadelphia