+1 to what has already been said and I'd also like to add that
sometimes I orchestrate situations that REQUIRE people to socialize.
This is a little different from "collaboration" but I think you have
to know each other fairly well before you can collaborate effectively.
I've been married to a hard core introvert for long enough to know
that small talk and meeting new people can be a serious drain on him.

Example, at our recent Waffle Day (I made waffles, they brought the
toppings) I put the food in the main work room where everyone sits and
works and I put the napkins and silverware in the conference room.
They realized right away what I had done and said, "seriously?! we
have to *talk* to each other, we can't just go back to our computers
and work while we eat?!" They were half joking/half serious but guess
what? They all sat together in the conference room, enjoyed a meal and
got to know each other a little better. Afterward, the introverts got
2 solid hours of quiet time to recharge their batteries! (yes, at
times I feel like a mother to the members but I kinda like it and I
think they do too!)

I'll also occasionally ask everyone to eat family style at the same
time/table during night coworking so we'll "all do better in school
and be more successful"--think after school special style. It's all a
bit tongue in cheek but no one has ever regretted the times when I
politely persuaded them to interact.
-A