We didn't buy chairs. I know it sounds funny, but it would have cost a
ton. Viable chairs cost around $250 USD here, and the coworking dues
are only $110. So we tell people to buy their own chair and bring it.
We bought a few for drop-in's. We did provide tables / desks. We're
just now ordering chairs for the conference room, 3 years in.

-evan

CoworkingMVD
Montevideo, Uruguay

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Joshua Marpet
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Jeannine,
> Funny, and well said.  Serendipity happens, but it happens more often when
> it has your phone number.  :)
> Joshua Marpet
> DataDevastation
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Jeannine <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I literally walked into my conference room chairs and table at the
>> local version of the Goodwill -- they were offloading them from a
>> truck and had just picked them up.  They also had some desks and so
>> forth in the truck.  The woman who runs the place was mumbling to
>> herself about it.  So I asked her what she wanted for the chairs and
>> she said she would sell me whatever was in the truck for a flat price
>> and deliver it, too if I would take it right then.  Nowhere to put it
>> apparently.  So I took it and what I did not need I sold off on the
>> local version of ebay.
>>
>> The office chairs I got from an auction site: a large office went
>> bankrupt and flooded the market with upscale secondhand furniture.
>>
>> However they appear, it seems that the adage "People with no money
>> need to be prepared to put time in instead" appears to apply, at least
>> for me.  I went to the local Goodwill equivalent every week for a long
>> time, until they knew me and knew more or less what I wanted.
>> Nowadays they call me if something is coming in and I am talking to
>> them about setting up a page on my website to notify people about
>> things coming in -- because my website gets visited by starters and
>> businesses in transition.   The people at the auction site sent me an
>> email about the auction because I had been contacting them
>> regularly.
>>
>> Some of it is just pure dumb luck; but in my experience pure dumb luck
>> happens more often when I am working at something.  Opportunities
>> appear as they are seized. :-)
>>
>> Jeannine
>> On Feb 21, 10:53 pm, Ann Kingman <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > We're in the process of putting together a budget for the initial
>> > furnishing
>> > of our space.
>> > We are hung up on chairs.
>> > I think good office chairs are very important, and probably key for
>> > member
>> > retention. However, the cost of these chairs is freaking me out a bit.
>> > It's
>> > not so bad when you think about buying one, but we're looking at
>> > probably 20
>> > to start, between the conference room and work desks.
>> >
>> > Any recommendations for sourcing? I hate to cheap out here, but I also
>> > don't
>> > want this to be the thing that makes the space an unworkable concept.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ann
>> > CoWork508 (right now just a concept)
>> > Attleboro, MA
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Coworking" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> [email protected].
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Coworking" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected].
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

Reply via email to