Turns out Slack multi-team options just got a lot better, too. A new beta 
build is out right now that let's you swap between teams much faster, and 
with full notifications for all teams in one window. Download it here 
<https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/06bd6493684f65a3b8f47aca92c9006e> if you 
want to join in for the Coworking Leadership Slack that Melissa started! 

On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 1:05:41 PM UTC-4, Melissa Geissinger wrote:
>
> It's actually really easy to swap between teams I've found. It's even easy 
> on the mobile app! Send me your email and we can experiment. 
>
> And hell yes to Google Hangouts. Let's do it! Pick a time. 
>
>
>  *Melissa Geissinger*
>  President & COO | WIMP LLC <http://www.beawimp.org>
> WIMPspace: Cowork * Colearn * Coexist <http://www.wimpspace.com> 
> p 707 827 1334 x1 
> c 707 888 0225 
>
> On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:01:10 AM UTC-7, Adam Teterus wrote:
>>
>> Hey, Melissa! Congrats on opening the clubhouse! it's especially 
>> refreshing to read that you've been so cohesive for such a long time prior 
>> to moving into a space. That's really fantastic, and I'm thrilled for you. 
>>
>> I'm absolutely sure that we could talk and learn lots from one another, 
>> and I'd love to do that. We use Slack here at Indy Hall, in fact. My 
>> understanding of Slack is that it's a little difficult to swap between 
>> teams right now (Indy Hall log-in v. Coworking Group log-in), though I may 
>> be building that up into something more difficult than it really is. I'll 
>> hop inside and we can pick-up from here.
>>
>> I was also thinking that it'd be phenomenal to have a Google Hangout at 
>> the end of every week, some forum for connecting with other tummlers and 
>> managers and leaders in real time. Realistically, we have an astounding 
>> amount of potential tools and platforms, we just have to execute and meet 
>> up!
>>
>> On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 12:17:34 PM UTC-4, Melissa Geissinger wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Adam and everyone!
>>>
>>> We just opened up our coworking space last week, so I'm wearing all the 
>>> hats for now. Honestly, I can't imagine it any other way for the time 
>>> being. I love getting to know every single person in the community and 
>>> making sure I do my best to serve them and meet their needs and 
>>> expectations. Even though we just opened our space, we've had a throwing 
>>> and thriving community for nearly 3 and a half years already. 
>>>
>>> I run the group with 3 other individuals, and we've been using a chat 
>>> service called Slack for a few months now. We used to have our regular 
>>> conversations in Facebook but that just got messy and disorganized. Now we 
>>> just opened up a "team" for the greater group and it's been awesome. Other 
>>> companies around us are even starting to adopt the platform for 
>>> inter-company communication. What if we created a Slack team for Coworking 
>>> Space management - we can create different channels (basically chat rooms) 
>>> for all kinds of topics and that can be where we go when we need real-time 
>>> answers or real-time like-minded company to keep. What do you think? 
>>>
>>> It's an invite-only service and it's free. Check it out at 
>>> https://slack.com/. I can start up a team if you guys are interested? 
>>>
>>>  *Melissa Geissinger*
>>>  President & COO | WIMP LLC <http://www.beawimp.org>
>>> WIMPspace: Cowork * Colearn * Coexist <http://www.wimpspace.com> 
>>> p 707 827 1334 x1 
>>> c 707 888 0225 
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:46:12 AM UTC-7, Adam Teterus wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Thanks, Will!
>>>>  
>>>>
>>>>> how to engender that sense of commitment and passion to go above and 
>>>>> beyond the formal job requirements and to want to be involved in the 
>>>>> Google 
>>>>> Group (as an example of going above and beyond the strict job definition 
>>>>> more generally), given that the external motivators (income potential, 
>>>>> career development) are not overwhelming? 
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> This. Exactly this. I think you hit the nail on the head, and to your 
>>>> point, there very much is a critical practice of learning to *make 
>>>> your employees care as much as you do*. Makes total sense, too, 
>>>> because that's precisely what we ought to be doing for our members: making 
>>>> them care for this community as strongly as possible, as though they 
>>>> themselves own it. In many ways, your members do own it. In just as many 
>>>> ways, the space manager does own it - *I* own it, and I do my best job 
>>>> possible when I feel that way. I just don't have my name on any legal 
>>>> documents. :)
>>>>
>>>> I have to ask, and this goes to every coworking space owner: if you 
>>>> have a hired gun running the place or helping you run the place, do you 
>>>> explicitly invite that person to participate on the Google Group? What do 
>>>> you offer your hire in terms of training or job help?
>>>>
>>>> On Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:57:16 AM UTC-4, Will Bennis, Locus 
>>>> Workspace wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Adam, 
>>>>>
>>>>> Great post and great question!
>>>>>
>>>>> As a space owner and space manager, I could certainly learn as much or 
>>>>> more from space managers as from space owners. And I would hope that the 
>>>>> space managers would find a happy home in this Google Group, sharing 
>>>>> their 
>>>>> own knowledge and requesting help/insight from others. We'd all certainly 
>>>>> gain a lot, just as we'd gain a lot if there were more coworking space 
>>>>> members on this list. Which I suppose begs the question, "Where are all 
>>>>> the 
>>>>> coworking space members?"
>>>>>
>>>>> I guess one answer--the less interesting answer--is that most space 
>>>>> owners are or once were space managers. Margins are low for most 
>>>>> coworking 
>>>>> spaces and many of us run one-person or few-person operations. So we 
>>>>> managers are here, but we may use the "owner" tag since that sort of 
>>>>> trumps 
>>>>> the "manager" tag on our business cards :).
>>>>>
>>>>> But of course most coworking spaces also have non-owner employees &/or 
>>>>> managers, so why aren't they more active on this list? Here's a potential 
>>>>> answer, and in this case it's the same answer as why there aren't more 
>>>>> coworking-space members on this list. It's also an answer I'm a little 
>>>>> ashamed to give, because it speaks to how far my own coworking space 
>>>>> needs 
>>>>> to grow as a *community* and not just as a business providing shared 
>>>>> office 
>>>>> space and events: most non-owner space-managers, as with most members, 
>>>>> are 
>>>>> not passionately involved in the world of coworking and in learning about 
>>>>> and contributing to that world. 
>>>>>
>>>>> The material incentives/external motivation (large potential salaries, 
>>>>> career advancement up a high ladder) are not there except in the very 
>>>>> rare 
>>>>> cases of some of the most successful coworking spaces that can really 
>>>>> attract people ready to do their very best at the job for the financial 
>>>>> benefits, and the internal motivations that have to do with love of the 
>>>>> job, commitment to the community and doing one's best are just rare, I 
>>>>> think, for often part-time, low-paid work. I would guess non-profit 
>>>>> coworking spaces and for-profit coworking spaces that do an incredible 
>>>>> job 
>>>>> developing a strong sense of commitment to the space and its community 
>>>>> can 
>>>>> find space managers ready to give the job their all without the external 
>>>>> motivators (the money or career trajectory), but I think that's a rare 
>>>>> achievement. I think once that's achieved, those are the places also 
>>>>> where 
>>>>> you find space *members* and not just managers getting involved, posting 
>>>>> answers and questions to this list, trying to build the movement more 
>>>>> generally. 
>>>>>
>>>>> So the challenge for me, who runs a for-profit coworking space--but 
>>>>> does it in large part because he's passionate about the importance of 
>>>>> coworking spaces as a kind of human/social capital for freelancers & 
>>>>> independent workers--is how to engender that sense of commitment and 
>>>>> passion to go above and beyond the formal job requirements and to want to 
>>>>> be involved in the Google Group (as an example of going above and beyond 
>>>>> the strict job definition more generally), given that the external 
>>>>> motivators (income potential, career development) are not overwhelming? 
>>>>>
>>>>> I'd guess this is a challenge for many of us (space owners) and the 
>>>>> main reason you don't see more non-owner space managers actively involved 
>>>>> here.
>>>>>
>>>>> Will
>>>>>
>>>>> ----
>>>>> Will Bennis
>>>>> http://en.locusworkspace.cz <http://www.locusworkspace.cz/>
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sunday, September 7, 2014 3:47:49 AM UTC+2, Adam Teterus wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey, all. I'm Adam. 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> So I've been running Indy Hall as the Point Man for just shy of 3 
>>>>>> years, looking over this place and these people on a daily basis from 
>>>>>> January of 2011 to right now (and well beyond right now, I should hope). 
>>>>>> 3 
>>>>>> years of facilitating relationships between new and old members, 
>>>>>> introducing newcomers to our community, saying goodbye to longstanding 
>>>>>> members who came before me, bumping into very *human* obstacles and 
>>>>>> guiding members through sometimes tough social situations, always toward 
>>>>>> a 
>>>>>> place in which we're much tighter and stronger and better than where we 
>>>>>> came from.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I recently had a really great conversation with a friend about what 
>>>>>> it is that I do here at Indy Hall. Given that coworking is relatively 
>>>>>> "new" 
>>>>>> in the scheme of things, and given that it's a burgeoning meta-community 
>>>>>> and industry in its own rite, she asked me who I turn to when I have 
>>>>>> questions, when I encounter something new. 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> That's a long, winding answer. My reference points are ALL OVER the 
>>>>>> place, there's not really anyone one, particular role model. Not really 
>>>>>> a 
>>>>>> coworking space manager that I look to for parallels or direct 
>>>>>> reference. 
>>>>>> Many of you on this forum are among reference points, but there's a 
>>>>>> contingent missing from the Google Group: the person that most 
>>>>>> closely reflects me and what I do here at Indy Hall. I know that person 
>>>>>> and 
>>>>>> those people exist, but...where are they? 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> My friend, she's a researcher type, and she points out that I've got 
>>>>>> this wealth of domain knowledge 
>>>>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_knowledge>, this set of skills 
>>>>>> and attributes that I reflexively understand and act on every day to 
>>>>>> keep 
>>>>>> this community up and running. Things that I often take for granted, 
>>>>>> admittedly. Things I rarely think about because I'm not talking about 
>>>>>> them 
>>>>>> out loud with other people who do it, too. 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> She goes on to say that it sounds like I'm lacking a field 
>>>>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline_(academia)>, a network of 
>>>>>> people who share the same domain knowledge. A group of people like 
>>>>>> me. Where are those people?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I know the Google Group is primarily for/frequented by owners and 
>>>>>> prospective space owners, but where do the space managers go to talk to 
>>>>>> one 
>>>>>> another? The daily, boots on the ground, hired to be here community 
>>>>>> leader - where does she go for answers? Where do they go to learn and 
>>>>>> talk 
>>>>>> and share? Hell, where do they go to debrief and unwind after a long 
>>>>>> week 
>>>>>> of weird social situations? Who teaches them how to do what they're 
>>>>>> doing? 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Further, for owners and prospective owners: when you're hiring for a 
>>>>>> coworking space manager, who are you looking toward and thinking, "yeah, 
>>>>>> I 
>>>>>> need *that* person"? When you do hire someone, who do you refer that 
>>>>>> person to in terms of a role model for the gig?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Where are the people like me? Who are they? I want to meet 'em. 
>>>>>>
>>>>>

-- 
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to