Based on your responses I've got this:

   -

   Calls itself a coworking space.
   -

   Has a fully dedicated space for coworking (not just a few hours or a
   cafeteria shared with patrons).
   -

   Has an active community of members, not just clients.
   -

   Has  a facilitator dedicated to connect the members and build trust
   among them, engaging in activities to build the coworking community.
   -

   Treats coworkers as 1st class clients.
   -

   Promotes and encourages collaboration, interaction and serendipity.
   - Offers one or many kinds of membership (full or part time)

I did not know how to phrase the open/closed part.

What would you add, remove, change? Be specific :)

Ramon Suarez
Serendipity Accelerator, Betacowork
Author: http://coworkinghandbook.com
email & hangouts: [email protected]
Phone: +3227376769
GSM: +32497556284
Twitter:http://twitter.com/ramonsuarez
Skype: ramonsuarez
Try coworking: http://betacowork.com
<http://betacowork.com/free-coworking-tryout/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=468x60_banner&utm_content=girl-home&utm_campaign=ramon-signature>

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Ramon Suarez <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jon, I do as you do. They are members of a community and at the same time
> they are clients. They pay for a service, not only for belonging.
>
> Ramon Suarez
> Serendipity Accelerator, Betacowork
> Author: http://coworkinghandbook.com
> email & hangouts: [email protected]
> Phone: +3227376769
> GSM: +32497556284
> Twitter:http://twitter.com/ramonsuarez
> Skype: ramonsuarez
> Try coworking: http://betacowork.com
>
> <http://betacowork.com/free-coworking-tryout/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=468x60_banner&utm_content=girl-home&utm_campaign=ramon-signature>
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Jon Stever, The Office RW <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Re: "clients" vs. "members".
>>
>> I would definitely agree on the philosophical distinction.
>> Essentially,it's trying to tease out whether the space exists to build a
>> community ("members") or to earn a margin on real estate ("clients").  This
>> is an important dichotomy, but it's also strictly false as we all exist on
>> a sliding scale between these two extremes.
>>
>> I don't think we want to start to see "client" as a dirty word...at a
>> nice restaurant the clients will be on a first-name basis with staff, have
>> a special table, regular meal selections, and even Christmas cards in the
>> mail (and may even be called "patrons" to distinguish the relationship),
>> while at McDonald's "clients" are a mass of impersonal and transactional
>> relationships.
>>
>> I find myself slipping interchangeably between terms when talking about The
>> Office <http://theoffice.rw>, because as a coworking space manager and
>> business manager I have to think both in terms of building and
>> strengthening our community ("membership") and in terms of making the
>> numbers work and communicating with potential partners and investors
>> ("clients").  When I'm thinking in terms of investment and expansion, I
>> intellectual categorize "members" as "clients"...this is often
>> sub-conscious and I used to even feel ashamed when I realized that I had
>> done it, but I wonder if this is really such a horrible thing.  Because,
>> when I think about why I do what I do and the people I work with and for, I
>> think of "friends" and "members"...
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> - Jon
>>
>> On Friday, 12 September 2014 13:15:23 UTC+2, Alex Hillman wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>  In my opinion a coworking space -- being a *community* of coworkers --
>>>> always calls and treats its coworkers *members*.
>>>>
>>> ​
>>> I like this one a lot!!
>>>
>>> -Alex
>>>
>>  --
>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the
>> Google Groups "Coworking" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/coworking/Tvf2gg-WZ5w/unsubscribe.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to
>> [email protected].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>

-- 
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to