Thank you for this conversation! I was just wondering about this last 
night. 

On Monday, January 12, 2015 at 7:33:52 PM UTC-5, Alex Hillman wrote:
>
> Yeah I agree Joel. I counted that under "leadership burnout", but it 
> definitely should be a separate bullet on the list. 
>
> It's something I see every day in smaller ways too. The only thing worse 
> than failure is being trapped by your own success :)
>
> -Alex
>
>
> ------------------
> *The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
>  Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com
> Listen to the podcast: http://listen.coworkingweekly.com
>  
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Joel Bennett- Veel Hoeden <
> [email protected] <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Good list Alex.  I would add poor/non-existent succession plan for 
>> leadership as well. Have seen a few spaces in our area that start to falter 
>> when the original founder/leader decides to step away without someone of 
>> equal passion ready to step in to carry the baton.
>>
>> Joel Bennett
>> Veel Hoeden Coworking
>>  
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Alex Hillman <[email protected] 
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> Here’s an incomplete and in-no-particular order of things that I’ve seen 
>>> kill coworking spaces. Many of them aren’t unique to coworking, but often 
>>> take unique or different “forms” in the context of coworking. 
>>>
>>>  - Membership turnover 
>>> - Hiring mistakes 
>>> - Leadership burnout 
>>> - Top-heavy membership
>>> - Losing a large ‘anchor’ member company
>>> - Overspending 
>>> - Investor pressure
>>> - Poor partnerships
>>> - Over-reliance on sponsors 
>>> - Identity crisis
>>> - Mismatched audience 
>>> - Landlord disputes
>>> - Rent increases
>>>
>>> I know for a fact there are others that I’m not thinking of off the top 
>>> of my head!
>>>
>>> -Alex
>>>  
>>> ------------------ 
>>> *The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
>>>  Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com 
>>> Listen to the podcast: http://listen.coworkingweekly.com 
>>>  
>>>  
>>>
>>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 11:31 PM, Shailesh Deshpande <[email protected] 
>>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>  Hi Alex, Stacy & Others,
>>>>
>>>> Stumbled upon this discussion thread while researching coworking. I 
>>>> recently started a coworking space called 'Indieloft' in Nagpur (India) 
>>>> and 
>>>> looking to promote it locally and build a strong community.
>>>>
>>>> It'd be really interesting to understand why some of the other 
>>>> coworking spaces before us failed while we think we can make a go of it. I 
>>>> can already see how a coworking space might struggle if it doesn't have a 
>>>> core group of startups/entrepreneurs/freelancers who are engaging and 
>>>> collaborating on a regular basis. What were some of the other reasons?
>>>>
>>>> Really appreciate what you guys are doing to make this phenomenon 
>>>> successful globally.
>>>>
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Shailesh
>>>>
>>>> /[email protected]//@indieloft//www.facebook.com/indieloft// 
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Tuesday, 6 January 2015 10:18:29 UTC+5:30, Alex Hillman wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Hey Stacey, welcome to the discussion! :)
>>>>>
>>>>> Hit me up off list, I'll catch you up on what I've found so far and 
>>>>> some leads that might be worth following. I agree that there's a ton of 
>>>>> value in better understanding the patterns in the mistakes made and 
>>>>> problems encountered.
>>>>>
>>>>> -Alex
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> ------------------
>>>>> *The #1 mistake in community building is doing it by yourself.*
>>>>>  Join the list: http://coworkingweekly.com
>>>>> Listen to the podcast: http://listen.coworkingweekly.com
>>>>>  
>>>>>
>>>>> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Stacy Kessler <[email protected]> 
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey Alex and Others,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Long time lurker, first time poster :) I started Platform 53 
>>>>>> <http://www.platform53.com/>, a coworking space in Cincinnati, 
>>>>>> OH/Northern Kentucky this past September, so still really fresh, but 
>>>>>> have 
>>>>>> been doing research and pop-up coworking events around the region since 
>>>>>> 2012, hence the long-time lurking... 
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I just ran across this conversation thread and found it fascinating. 
>>>>>> I know most of the collection was done a few years ago and it didn't 
>>>>>> sound 
>>>>>> like it was as helpful as hoped, but sounds like there's still a lot of 
>>>>>> interest around it. I think understanding this topic is extremely 
>>>>>> important. I'm a market researcher by trade (both qual and quant), so if 
>>>>>> there's a passion for picking back up the effort or digging into other 
>>>>>> coworking questions, let me know--I'd be happy to help and ready to 
>>>>>> start 
>>>>>> being more active in the broader coworking community.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Best,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Stacy Kessler
>>>>>> Co-Founder & Chief Visionary Officer
>>>>>> Platform 53
>>>>>>
>>>>>> PS. Thanks for all you do for the coworking community, Alex. Love 
>>>>>> your dedication to having open conversations about coworking through 
>>>>>> this 
>>>>>> Google Group and elsewhere. Really refreshing to be a part of a 
>>>>>> collaborative industry after coming from the cut-throat corporate world.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>   -- 
>>>>>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>>>>>> --- 
>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>>>> Groups "Coworking" group.
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, 
>>>>>> send an email to [email protected].
>>>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>>>>>
>>>>>  
>>>>>    -- 
>>>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>>>> --- 
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>> Groups "Coworking" group.
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
>>>> an email to [email protected] <javascript:>.
>>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>>>
>>>  
>>> -- 
>>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>>> --- 
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>> Groups "Coworking" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send 
>>> an email to [email protected] <javascript:>.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>>
>>  
>>  -- 
>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>> --- 
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
>> "Coworking" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an 
>> email to [email protected] <javascript:>.
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>

-- 
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to