Dear Martin,

Which is CEO’s proposition that you support? It gets lost in the string. Do you
mean that a) a person speaking a language means being part of a group, or b)
using the p2 on E21 and then make types for ’Speakers of...'

I am (still and very much ) a supporter of a new property ‘knows language'. I
do not think that the group solution works because of the identify criteria of
groups. I also don’t think the event solution is necessary (another suggestion
that has floated in this conversation). It is often the case that for person we
do not know events of their acquisition or use of language or a skill but we do
have proposition that they had that language or skill! I also don’ t support
the ‘English Speakers’ type solution since it provides a different URI than the
URI for ‘English’ and forces more, obscure, modelling.

Another CIDOC CRM principle is model at the level of knowledge that is
typically present in information systems. Again, I think the present case
(people know languages) is identical to the case of

E22 consists of E57 Material

This is a typical piece of knowledge held about an object. It would be obtuse
to insist that one should create an event node to indicate the manner of this
material becoming the constituting material of the object when we don’t know
this fact. This is why CRM represents such binary relations, because they are
real, they are a level of knowledge and they are observable.

If someone has entered into an information system George: English, Pot Making,
it is unlikely that what they want to reconstruct are instances of me using
English or performing Pot making. Rather they are interested that there is an
individual which has a particular formation which means that he knows language
x, knows skill x. This information is probably used in an actual integration to
connect an instance of E21 via an instance of E57 Language to for example E33
that use the same E57.

It would seem we need some sort of hierarchy in the principles which can also
be conflicting.

> My approach is not documenting skills. My approach is documenting facts,
> rather than potentials. I take notice and may document that you spoke Latin,
> as I have done last time at school. I have a document stating my grade in
> Latin at high school.  My grade at high school confirms a set of years of
> continued successful lessons, not that I could understand much Latin now;-).
> Speaking a language can be documented as an extended (observed) activity, as
> in FRBRoo.

It may be, but is it typically? I have never seen an information system,
especially in museum context that would.

> For instance, someone writing books in particular language. This falls under
> any kind of extended activity not further specified, such as an artist using
> a technique for some time, and avoids transforming actual activities into
> potentials.
>
> We can document someone's documented opinion about a potential of a person,
> as an information object.

That would make this information mostly unusable however. If our goal is to
functionally use the observation person x speaks language y, then it needs to
be semantically represented and not made a string.

> In the "Principles for Modelling Ontologies" we refer:
> "7.2 Avoid concepts depending on a personal/ spectator perspective"
>
> This could be elaborated more. In the CRM, we do not model concepts "because
> people use them", but because they can be used to integrated information
> related to them with URIs.  Therefore, your arguments and what I wanted to
> say is, "skill" is a bad concept for integration. What should be instantiated
> are the observable activities, which may or may not indicate skills.

I don’t see that this principle applies. It is not a personal perspective that
someone speaks a language, anymore than it is a personal perspective that an
object is constituted of a material. This fact can be documented and observed.
Someone else can come and do the same. Don’t believe Franco can speak Latin?
Watch him and see if he can. When someone writes in an information system, they
probably typically mean, some evidence leads me to assert Person y knows
language y. They do not mean to say at some point in the past he learned it, or
at some point he performed it.

In the case of documenting that someone knows a language this can be used
practically to integrate using URIs just in case we use the same URI for
English that we use to describe a document and that we use to describe the
knowledge of the individual

E21 knows language E57 Language URI:AA
E33 has language E57 Language URI:AA

answers the query, who in this graph knew the language this document was
written in.

Functionally, the issue for me  is, is there a good reason against adding a
binary property off of person which can indicate their knowledge ability and
connect to a well known URI for a language.

Best,

George