Maybe all of them?  I have a character with 13 skills at or above level 110 on Metalforge.  I get the feeling that I'm never going to get there in lockpicking or sense curse, but I could conceive of getting several more up there.  Of course, "all of them" depends on the character, as I don't have meditation, flametouch, clawing, etc., but I am allowed weapons. So if we want people to reach a cap, then either 8 or 16 would seem reasonable to me.