This idea seems reasonable.  The original collection dates back to a time when
hard drives were much slower (and amount of memory in systems was less, so
likelihood of that data being cached was low)

 Like Kevin, I'm not sure if there is still need for collected archetypes - the
tar file could just be distributed as is now, and have it unpacked as part of
the install.

 At least for the .arc files, in theory, I think a 'cat */*.arc >
everything.arc' would more or less work - archetype files can currently have more
than one archetype.

 The issue is the png files - those can not be simply combined - some form of
container would be needed, whether that is zip, tar, or custom format currently
used.

 One advantage in the past was that having large files was more efficient if
you wanted to compress them, but that isn't an issue now days.