So the simple version of the proposed change is to have the arch directory work like the maps do now instead of like source code that is complied in.  (And other details like allowing overrides.)

I like the idea.

The current system is broken in that I can make arch changes and the Makefiles don't detect any changes, so I have to manually do the collect to pull in the changes.  Fixing that would be a pain.

As to the start-up time, how much longer will it really take? Running 'make do-collect' just took 1.166s on my laptop.  Even 5s wouldn't be a big problem for recovering from a server crash.