On 10/7/20 3:22 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
I've made good progress, with a global skeleton on which to add more files to
read (right now I read .face & .png files).

Right now, partial collect process takes approx 10s. It'll probably take more
at the end, 'cause of more file processing.

Is this code somewhere that we can take an early look at?

I'll just freely troll (to vent some frustration :)), but I have to do really
similar stuff for many structure types (faces, archetypes, treasures,
artifacts, and probably more), and frankly, I'm really tempted to
"accidentally" switch to C++ just to reduce that duplicated code by using good
old std::map<>...

I would support code changes that reduce duplication and make code more maintainable.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I have the same in-depth understanding (I like to tell myself) of C++ as I do C. If something inevitably breaks, I'm not sure I'd know how to fix it. I've run many C++ programs in a debugger to figure out what's going on, only to find that some constructor or destructor caused a segfault. I have a vague understanding of C++ name mangling, but am not sure I could fix a broken C++ build.

Perhaps all that's needed is some C++ education on my part.

Regards,
Kevin