> Hello,
>  It seems that the /dev/crypto device in that system is from an older
> cryptodev driver. You may want to unload the old module and load the new
> one.

This is release 1.6 that I built and deployed. Is there something newer?

>> Second, Wheezy's OpenSSL 1.0.1e isn't built with cryptodev support, so
>> after putting "crypto/cryptodev.h" in /usr/local/include, I rebuilt
>> cryptodev-supporting OpenSSL packages:
>>   apt-get source openssl
>>   cd openssl-1.0.1e
>>   DEB_CFLAGS_APPEND='-DHAVE_CRYPTODEV -DUSE_CRYPTODEV_DIGESTS
>> -DHASH_MAX_LEN=64' dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
>>   cd ..
>> Notably, the OpenSSL tests pass without /dev/crypto, but when /dev/crypto
>> exists, the OpenSSL tests fail. Here's the failure:
>

> Did you try replacing openssl's eng_cryptodev.c with the included in
> cryptodev? Does it help with the check and the errors you see?

No I didn't. I was under the impression from mailing lists and
otherwise that you hoped to stop maintaining the openssl patch, since
OpenSSL 1.0.1 and newer had it built in. Should I still be patching
the latest OpenSSL? I can certainly try that.

>> Further, and more pertinently, with a cryptodev-supporting OpenSSL build
>> and a working /dev/crypto, we frequently see /dev/crypto get into a weird
>> state where OpenSSL starts crashing (I assume it's related to this test
>> failure). Since SSH is the only way we can easily manage these headless
>> embedded Linux devices, this is incredibly frustrating, as SSH starts
>> failing due to the SSL failures.
>> This is as far as I've made it. We've gotten frustrated enough that we
>> tried to switch to OCF-Linux, but those patches barely apply to 3.8.6 and
>

> I don't think that would help. As far as I understand those issues are
> due to the quality of eng_cryptodev.c.

Interesting. Yeah, from my reading it seemed like this was no longer
necessary with the latest OpenSSL, which I'm using, but I will try.