So, I finally got back to this, sorry for the 2-month delay.

I started completely fresh. I built openssl-1.0.1e after patchiing
eng_cryptodev.c with the one provided in cryptodev-linux 1.6 in the
extras folder. I made sure to have crypto/cryptodev.h in my include
path and built with the addition of -DHAVE_CRYPTODEV and
-DUSE_CRYPTODEV_DIGESTS. I insmod'ed cryptodev.ko and ran make test
inside the openssl project. This time, all the tests passed.

So, I installed the new openssl library as my system openssl and
restarted some server processes. Immediately, many of them started
having a ton of SSL handshake errors.

What is the best way to find out what's happening? I'm not totally
sure the tests exercised cryptodev.ko, but I do know for certain the
existence of cryptodev.ko in the kernel definitely kills a ton of SSL
handshakes with the appropriately built openssl library.

Help?
-JT