On Aug 25, 2009, at 4:44 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
Yet another reason why you always should make the crypto algorithms you use pluggable in any system -- you *will* have to replace them some day.

In order to roll out a new crypto algorithm, you have to roll out new
software. So, why is anything needed for "pluggability" beyond versioning?

It seems to me protocol designers get all excited about this because
they want to design the protocol once and be done with it. But software authors are generally content to worry about the new algorithm when they
need to switch to it - and since they're going to have to update their
software anyway and get everyone to install the new version, why should
they worry any sooner?

I have no idea, myself.

I have said many times effectively what you said, and there's always the same hand-wringing.

I believe that it boils down to this:

They aren't software engineers and we are. We've designed paramaterized or (that's or, not xor) versioned protocols before. We've done upgrades.

They will inevitably bring up downgrade attacks, but come on. It is a truism that there is more stupidity than malice in the world and if you stupid-proof your protocol, you've also malice-proofed it.

And yes, yes, one has to be thorough in your design of plugable system. I, too, can come up with a scenario where a simple version number is not enough. It's just a software engineering problem, and you and I and the other software engineers know how to do software engineering.

I think that again, they haven't in general deployed software to a population large enough to contain stupid people. If they have deployed it to stupid people, they haven't had the attitude that stupidity is a fact of life and has to be fixed in the software, not the person.

And after boiling it down, let me go further and reduce it to a sticky, bitter sauce:

They don't believe it's important. They so believe the naive simple-is- better line that they end up believing that brittle is better than resilient. They're so enamored with the aphorism that you can make something so simple it's secure or so complex it's secure that they forget the aphorism that you should make things as simple as possible and no simpler. They're not engineers, so for them, upgrades are free. Therefore brittle is simpler than resilient.

        Jon