If I understand correctly, you were trying to print out the value of
PATH by just typing 'PATH' (or perhaps '$PATH'), which you can do at
the DOS prompt. For Unix shell, you want 'echo $PATH' (no quotes).

Note also that PATH is for executables (and DLL's on Windows). It
won't help to add any 'include' directories to it.

You'll want to post an actual transcript of your typed commands and
the printed results in order to get more detailed help setting up the
external project. Were you able to install Autoconf in MSYS or at
least use a Unix machine to generate configure from configure.ac by
running ./autogen.sh?