I don't think valve knows how to fix it. They do reply to this mailing list every now and then, I'm sure they have seen the complaints about this, but they can't reproduce or figure out the problem.

Recently, I noticed a symptom of this "failed to join session" error, is when a player joins the server, they request session information from clients no longer in the server. When the server is join-able, clients request data from a player in the server. When the server is not join-able, players request data from clients who are in a different server, or just online/offline. I sent this information to valve, and got a reply saying thanks for the info. If you have meaningful information regarding the bug and if you can somehow reproduce it, email what you have so valve can take a look.

I emailed Vitaliy: vita...@valvesoftware.com