Hi Nick

Firstly I'd just like to reassure you that I hate the requirement of pixel
perfection and understand it is not possible,  We should be educating our
clients and designers that embracing the web for its fluidity is what we
should be aiming for, and not railing against it.  I am an advocate of
allowing the web to be fluid and I am fully aware that sites will not look
the same cross-browser/cross-platform.  Unfortunately clients and designers
don't always feel the same.  My job is to make websites look as close as
possible to each other across the board.  However I do not create the
designs and I do not actually speak to clients, I create sites from designs
given to me.  Then the client will compare the design they've seen mocked up
in Photoshop with the online version, and something that I get back as a
bug, time and time again is that the font-sizes don't match.  (we're talking
out by 1 or 2 pixels here, not massive differences)

They're testing their font-sizes by taking a screen shot and then using a
tool such as photoshop to measure and compare the pixel value.

As I've used Owens method for a long time now, and for me it gives the best
result cross the board for font-sizes.  I'd like very much to continue using
it, but as you can imagine, if I keep getting bugs from clients re;
font-sizes, I'm going to be pushed to fix them.  If I can use a tool to
measure a font, and say to my boss that look this is the font-size on the
website, and then compare that to the original design, I will have something
to back up the reasons why I've used Owens method.

On 11/09/2007, Nick Fitzsimons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you know of a font-size checker.  I don't fully trust
> firebug's layout
> measurement when it comes to font-sizes, as I think it gives
> a value for the
> entire area that the font covers rather than the equivalent value in
> pixels.  Or am I wrong and I should trust firebug?

Not sure what you mean,

If you open firebug and select a piece of text to then look at the layout
optioni the values it gives are the measurements of the surrounding element
area and not the actual font-size.  So if you select a P it measures the
area of the P, the same with any element.  It will also measure the full
height from the top of the tallest letter to the bottom of a letter such as
a g/y/p etc.

Which I guess leads me onto another question, where is the height measured
from typographically to give the pixel value in something such as Photoshop.

>>but the first thing to remember is that in CSS,
>>"pixel" doesn't mean "single dot on the screen" as it does in something
like
>>Photoshop:
>><http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html#x39>

Point taken, and I am fully aware of this, however we need to educate the
clients, and reassure them about why we have made the decisions that we've
made.

> saying the fonts vary from the original design

>>What do you mean precisely by "the original design"? Do you mean comps
>>produced in Photoshop, Illustrator or some such application?

I get designs in PSD format, the client will have seen printouts of the PSDs
and probably been emailed JPGs of the design.

>>If so you should be aware that these applications tend to render
>>anti-aliased fonts by default, but web browsers on the Windows platform
>>rendering to a non-LCD display (or with an LCD where Microsoft's ClearType
>>technology is not enabled) perform no anti-aliasing. As a result, clients
>>will be shown a lovely anti-aliased design comp, but when they view the
>>actual page on their 3 year old computer with a 7 year old monitor, it
will
>>have nasty jagged fonts. It's best to avoid building up their expectations
>>when presenting designs for web pages to them.

I beg to differ as Safari on windows renders fonts smoothly, and they look
stunning.  Fonts on a Mac just look amazing too.  It just highlights how
shoddy fonts are in other applications on windows and makes them look ugly.

I also feel that in todays market of ridiculously cheap electronic
equipment, we cannot assume that our clients will be using such old machines
as you suggest.  Of course we need to create websites that will degrade
gracefully.

>>At a design studio I worked at a few years ago I asked the designers to
>>disable font smoothing in PhotoShop when mocking up web pages. They
>>complained that it made their designs "look ugly", but when I pointed out
>>that they were just seeing what the end users would see, they realised
that
>>it was better to work to the limitations of the destination technology,
>>rather than show the client beautifully smooth designs which were not, in
>>reality, achieveable in a web browser on Windows.

Thats a very good idea, I will suggest it, I think it'll go down like a lead
balloon with our design team.

Thanks
Kristina