> (I tried looking at the DOM pane, where it lists the
> properties of an element in the DOM tree, including the
> "style" property,
> with CSS properties under it - but with empty values, for
> some odd reason.)

That property reflects the "style" attribute of the element; so it only
contains any values if there are inline styles on the page.

So, for example:

will show the value for the "color" property, but no others, no matter how
many other properties may be set in, say, an external stylesheet. I believe
I'm correct in saying that, even if the colour was changed using a
"!important" rule elsewhere (which would be the only way to override the
specificity of that attribute), that DOM property would remain unchanged,
because it reflects what was in the page source, not the computed style.

Regards,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons