Bob Rosenberg wrote:
> At 19:36 +0100 on 08/01/2009, MEM wrote about Re: [css-d] the old
> 'tables vs. divs':
>
>>> I was studying the CSS and the page structure and I noticed that
>>> the designer used a series of table cels to create that design.
>>> Not only will the page not validate but I wondered what you guys
>>> have to say about the notion of using tables to affect this
>>> design?
>> I'm like a robot on that: tables, for tabular data. Is the layout
>> structure tabular data? No. CSS will do it.
>
> Except for the fact that in some cases CSS is (currently?) incapable
>  of creating the same layout as can be created with a Table (Maybe
> CSS3 will be able to once it gets rolled out in a few years).

Interesting observation. My experience is the exact opposite.

Seven years ago I took my first class in Web design. Although taught
table-based layouts aimed at NS 4 and IE 5, there was a chapter on CSS.
So I attempted the final exercise with CSS. I experienced my first float
drop, which actually solved a design problem not possible with tables.

At the risk of inviting derision, here's my very first attempt at CSS.
The design had to target VGA monitors, where the bottom two sections
drop below one another instead of getting "crushed":

  http://www.hucklesby.com/twinlife/twinlife.htm

Cordially,
David