Adam Ducker wrote:
> Erik Vorhes wrote:
>
>> Whether you end up going with CSS hacks or conditional comments is
>> your decision (though I prefer conditional comments because I know
>> what I'm getting that way, and there aren't as many potential
>> surprises).
>
> I second this as well, Chris.  Only use a hack when you've exhausted all
> other possibilities.  A conditional statement clearly will work for you
> and is a much safer approach.  As a bonus it will allow you to still
> validate your styles to make sure you haven't made any mistakes on
> accident.  You won't find yourself with a list of errors you simply
> ignore because you introduced them on purpose...
>
> -Adam Ducker (http://adamducker.com)

Is this not valid CSS?

* html div { background: green; }

The element tree for standard compliant browsers is.

   <head>...</head>

The element tree for IE6 and IE7 is.

<hidden-container>
     <head>...</head>
</hidden-container>

Thus why this selector works.

* html div { background: green; } /* IE6- */

and with the inclusion of a <!DOCTYPE> in the HTML, this selector works.

*+html div { background: green; } /* IE7 */

These hacks are not a bug in IE7 or earlier but are targeting a hidden
container in the element tree.

--
Alan http://css-class.com/