Thanks everyone,

There is a problem in that the website is CMS generated so we don't
actually have a head that we can edit. I will double check with my
friend but I remember him saying that there was no editable <head>.
I hear what you're saying, and as always I am really respectful and am
grateful for the list's guidance, but maybe in this case I have
exhausted all other possibilities? I wonder if we can attach another
style sheet for IE, I just don't know if Drupal will create the
conditional comments for it though. There must be a plugin for that,
you'd think so.

I have been putting conditional comments in my style sheets, but I
won't do it again.

Cheers, Chris