> With a default browser install - no settings altered - which the vast
> majority of users will be using, that size is very small and a large
> majority of users don't know they CAN do something about the size of
> text they are seeing. I reserve that size for disclaimers and
> copyright lines, and even then some would argue that it's too small
> for those things too.

Seems absolutely fair and valid to me. :)

> > If we allow the user to zoom,
>
> You don't have any choice.

> >  and if we allow the user to use its own
> > font-size that she/he feels/needs
>
> Again, you don't have any choice.

I will rephrase, I believe we have the choice to allowed properly or ignore
it. So, If we give the change to the user to properly zoom in our site
contents...

> > like, what are the consequences of using
> > small fonts like 0.75em, instead of 0.85em ?
> >

> Like, some users may not be able to read it.
> This does not mean the world will end if you use.
>
> And as mentioned two or three times over the past year or so, a rule of
> thumb some authors use to set fonts is:
> Primary content 100%.
> Secondary content 95%.
> Tertiary content 90%.

I've just read an article on Felix Miata website that show us several
options and defenders of each option on the bibliography part. Very nice.

I cannot dig in on the subject right know, it's to many key concepts
(resolution, dpi, screen size), that I can't follow all of a sudden. From a
very simplistic point of view, I realize that the site, on 0.75em is still
capable of being seen on lower resolutions, I can see them properly as well,
I'm sure not a ruler, and sure the measures can't be done using my own eyes
as ruler, still, I'm on a not that usual 1680x1050 screen resolution and,
I'm supposing the site visitors will not have so high resolutions as well.
(I can stop supposing and actually find it but, unfortunately, I know no
statistics about this subjects.)

Despite all assumptions, suppositions, believes, and so on, I can just agree
that a site that follow 100% / 95% / 90% and as a nice contrast, is more
comfortable to read than any other. (except, if that site is seen on a very
low resolution. (to many unpleasant/unpractical scroll bars may arrive)).

I will have that into consideration and discuss it with the designer on our
future layouts.
Still, a statistic report on target resolution monitors, would be very VERY
handy. :D?

Thanks again,
Márcio