On 5/06/2011 11:05 PM, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

Barney Carroll wrote:
Keith,

By default. block-level elements occupy the full available width, thus
any
following block-level elements can only appear directly below.

I am unconvinced of this explanation. At

http://web-consultants.org.uk/sites/tests/Block-level-elements/DIVs.html

you will see two DIVs, each of which is only 33% of the full available
width,
yet they stack vertically, not horizontally. I would argue that this
behaviour
has nothing to do with their width, and is entirely a result of their
being block-level
elements.

Philip Taylor

It is really do with block flow direction.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#text-flow

  | The block flow direction is the direction in which
  | block-level boxes stack and the direction in which
  | line boxes stack within a block container. The
  | ‘writing-mode’ property determines the block flow
  | direction.

What you are observing is what happens in a Latin-based writing mode. If the boxes that have a width of 33% are in LTR inline base direction, the boxes will appear visually stack downward on the left side of the viewport. If the boxes that have a width of 33% are in RTL inline base direction, the boxes will appear visually stack downward on the right side of the viewport. The thing that set the base direction are the attributes dir="ltr" or dir="rtl".

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/