Alan Gresley wrote:
It is really do with block flow direction.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-writing-modes/#text-flow

  | The block flow direction is the direction in which
  | block-level boxes stack and the direction in which
  | line boxes stack within a block container. The
  | ‘writing-mode’ property determines the block flow
  | direction.

What you are observing is what happens in a Latin-based writing mode.

So, what would you expect to happen if the writing mode were top-to-bottom ?
Would you then expect the DIVs to stack side by side ?  I would not, but of
course I am always open to being surprised !

Philip Taylor