Elli,

I don't have Safari here, so can't really replicate the issue, but:

1) Conditional comments are strictly IE phenomenon AFAIK.
2) What about Stokely Safari hack or Giant Island (I think that's how the
successor to Stokely was called)?

http://www.stormdetector.com/hacks/safarihack.html
http://www.giantisland.com/Resources/LitePacificHackforSafariAndIE7.aspx

3) Or, if you're after browser-specific CSSes, why not use CSS Browser
Selector? It's JS, true, but light (really little number of code lines),
open source (so no cost and easy to say what's inside).
http://rafael.adm.br/css_browser_selector/

4) Finally, while looking for conditional comments for Safari to be certain
of point 1), I found few dozen links that said there are none and this one
here, about *CSS* conditional comments:
http://code.adonline.id.au/css-conditional-comments-for-chrome-and-safari/

Hope this helps!

pozdrawiam,