Le 15 mars 2013 à 11:19, Micky Hulse <mickyhulse.li...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> 1. IIRC, I think I read somewhere that using a separate style sheet
> will allow support in older IEs (would the alternative be @media print
> { ... }? Is that the technique you use to keep your print/screen
> styles together?).

Someone else should correct me, but IE 5.5+ supported the basic @media screen
{} or @media print {} correctly. IE 5 for Mac OS X didn't though, but that
browser is long since dead.

(and yes that is what I use routinely.)

> 2. Having built a "mobile-first" theme, I have a lot of media queries
> that use "screen and ... ", whereas the mobile styles (outside MQs)
> are not set for any media type (they are out in the open). I wanted to
> have a "clean slate" for when it came to my print styles and it seemed
> like separating screen and print media would help me to do that (I
> could be totally wrong though, I'm definitely no print stylesheet
> guru).

It is a valid approach. For most of what I deal with, I have a generic
stylesheet that can be applied to any media with some reshuffle or fine-tuning
for (the limitations of) print media. Like I said, it really depends on what
type of documents you deal with, and the (eventual) workflow.

> So, you're saying I can convert:
>
> @media only screen and (min-width:665px){ ... }
>
> ... to:
>
> @media (min-width:665px) { … }

Yeah, right that you can do; saves typing a couple of characters and eventually
makes the stylesheet ever so slightly smaller… (the byte count really doesn't
matter, mind).

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh