On 11/08/2014 09:43, MiB wrote:
11 aug 2014 kl. 10:02 skrev Tim Dawson <t...@ramasaig.com>:
what I'd do with an eight or twelve column design (or why I'd need it, really).

One word: Flexibility with contained order.
But I think I can already do that with floated <divs>, which are even more
flexible since they
can be any % of the container width (must add to 100%, of course). 'Contained
order' suggests a
bit more, but only that things should line up vertically and not be all over the place ? (with which I'd agree).

So I'd have (say) a 60% div and a 40% div (58.33% and 41.67% if I must be in twelfths). I can't see why I need an 8.33% div. In short, I'm still missing the point.

The best design book for grids IMHO is "Ordering Disorder: Grid Principles for
Web Design” by
Khoi Vinh (2010 Voices That Matter). It’s totally wonderful and in my opinion
contains
timeless principles. Better than any article on the subject.
Thanks for the reference. Mixed reviews on Amazon, but I respect books from 'Voices that Matter' (and already have several).

Regards,

Tim Dawson

List wiki/FAQ
-- http://css-discuss.incutio.com/ List policies --